Sunday, January 27, 2008

Updates On Both Whispers

I've posted the 'click' processing on YouTube ... it's nothing revolutionary, since the click can be heard on the unedited video, but it can be heard better here, and the whisper is easier to make out as well. Video will play the unprocessed audio first, then the processed audio. There's another video out where the whisper has been enhanced, but that one adds some other artifacts that can confuse the subject of the click.



I've also processed the whisper heard during the gun question. I've processed this many different ways, and I'm not sure that it's a whisper. It's the right frequency, and looks about right (very similar to the audible "taxes" whisper), but when it's isolated, it doesn't sound much like a whisper. Here's the chart:


Region A is the "ation" part of "legislation." B is the word "I" from "I do not support..." Region C is the part which, when played, sounds like an whispered "s" possibly from someone whispering "support." I compared that whispered "s" with the one from "taxes." The frequency doesn't match all that well -- but it's possible -- of course, it could be a different speaker as well.

Here's the whisper sound from the gun question, processed and unprocessed. I've isolated it, and I think anyone would agree that it's unconvincing:





Both of the clips I have were compressed in the original format. That means information was lost that cannot be reconstructed. I'd like very much to get uncompressed and multi-channel signals. There are a few more tricks I can try, but I doubt there's much more to get from these files.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Could the two "s" sounds look different because of a difference in the way they're pronounced in the 2 words?

That is, the "s" in "support" sounds like a "ssss" hiss, whereas the "s" in "taxes" is more of a "zzz" sound.

Just a thought.