Monday, January 28, 2008

Agressive Processing

Enough of the mild stuff -- I want to know what's in the "gun whisper" clip, so I've processed the sucker pretty heavily. I also realized that the utility I used to rip the original track was upsampling the signal -- poorly! So I made it stop, and that's given me a bit of an improvement.

Here's my running theory about the gun clip. You can tell Romney is choosing his words carefully, which I suppose one has to do when explaining why you were for new gun legislation before you were against it. He tells us "I said I'd -- I would support" a particular new gun law at the federal level. The you have this:

Romney: "I do not believe we need new legislation"

Whisper: "Support"

Romney: "I do not support any new legislation..."

Is there a difference between believing and supporting ... maybe so. Maybe "support" only comes into play when there is a particular bill that's already been proposed. At any rate, listen to the (very heavily processed) clip and see whether you believe there is a whisper saying "Support."

The lower frequencies, where most of Romney's voice is, were filtered out, then the entire signal was shifted down (not a change in sampling rate or speed, though). The results are A) it plays funny to the ear, because the harmonics are no longer harmonic. B) The supposed whisper is louder relative to Romney's voice. C) The whisper is lower in frequency than in the original recording.





And, just for fun, I've done similar processing on the "He raised taxes" whisper:




Enjoy!

No comments: